Tuesday, September 14, 2010

37 Weeks

Today we got to see Peanut again at our sonogram. The doctor had ordered the sonogram to check the baby's size, as she thought he/she might be big based on our 35 week appointment two weeks ago. And...she was right. Peanut is weighing in around 8 lbs, 2 oz.

Our sonographer seemed pretty confident in the estimate, even though there is a +/- 1 lb variance. She said that Peanut's position allowed for pretty easy measuring (head down and facing the right side of my body). After she took all the necessary measurements, she let us see some pictures of Peanut, including some 4D images. Pretty cool stuff. We got to see the face, feet, spine, heartbeat, and Peanut grabbing a foot/toes with his/her hand. Because we warned the sonographer that we didn't know the sex of the baby, she stayed away from the middle regions where the surprise might be ruined!

Later this afternoon we went back to see the doctor. Her face told it all...we are in for a BIG baby! She made her own guess of the baby's weight using the old fashioned method (feeling my stomach with her hands) and said she would guess between 7.5 and 8 lbs. At 37 weeks and 0.5 lb growth each week, we're in for a 8.5 to 9.5 lb baby boy or girl. She also checked my cervix, which is dilated 2cm and has started to efface (thin out) in preparation for birth. She said these were good signs, especially considering this is our first baby. Of course she can't guess when I'll go into labor, but she seemed pleased with my progression so far. And she confirmed that the baby was pretty low. I'd thought the baby might have dropped in the last week, due to my increased need to run to the bathroom lately!

We are now to our weekly doctor appointments, so we have our next appointment scheduled for Monday. I'm hoping there has been more progress that might mean Peanut will arrive before my due date! Because of the size issue, our doctor doesn't want to let me go past my due date. She suggested a possible induction at 39 weeks, so we're going to see how I check out next week to make the decision. I would, of course, prefer to wait until my body goes into labor naturally, but if we're going to end up with an induction either way, I think I prefer to be induced at 39 weeks. Then Peanut is smaller, and we get to meet him/her a week earlier!

I think the fact that we may have our precious baby in our arms in two weeks has started to sink in. I packed my hospital bag this weekend, and we're finishing the last load of baby laundry tonight. Trinity plans to install the car seat this weekend, and then we'll be as prepared as we can be!

2 comments:

Addy's Daddy said...

YIPPEEE!!!!! I'm so excited!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh - I can't believe little...ummm, BIG!...Peanut is almost here!! I can't wait to see the whole family!