Friday, May 21, 2010

20 weeks

We're halfway there! I cannot believe how quickly this pregnancy is going. I feel like just yesterday Trinity and I were smiling at that little plus sign that showed up to say we were pregnant!

According to Baby Center, Peanut is approximately 10.5 ounces and 10 inches from head to heal. He/she has doubled in size in the last three weeks, which means my belly probably has too! I can feel Peanut moving more regularly these days...usually after meals or when I press my stomach against something (such as the edge of my desk). I've tried putting Trinity's hand on my belly when I feel movement, but it seems as though Peanut knows what we're trying to do and abruptly stops!

To date, I've gained about 9 pounds. My center of gravity is definitely shifting as my belly grows out. So far my belly button is still inside, but I keep warning Trinity that it may soon become an outie. He's still not thrilled about that idea!
This morning we got to see Peanut! The sonogram was a lot of fun, and the sonographer was relieved when we told her we didn't want to find out the sex of the baby. Apparently she feels a lot of pressure when people want to find out!
She took a bunch of measurements to check the baby and then we got to spend some time looking at the baby from different angels. We saw Peanut's head, face, profile, arms, hand, feet, all four chambers of the heart pumping, umbilical cord, and bladder. It was amazing. I'm so sad this will be the last time we see Peanut until delivery.
Here is the only good picture I could get of one of the sonogram print-outs. Peantu's face is along the right side of the picture. You can see his/her right eye, nose, and lips very prominently.

We were amazed at all the things they can check on a baby at this point. They measure the head for symmetry, check the nose and lips for cleft palate, emsure both the stomach and bladder appear, check the kydney for enlargements, check for hernia at the umbilical cord, ensure all four chambers of the heart are working properly, check the placenta, and ensure the baby's overall size is average. Thankfully Peanut passed all the tests!

No comments: