Friday, January 14, 2011

First Day of School

Well, Gracie and I both survived her first two weeks of daycare! I'm pretty sure she faired much better than me though.

Originally, I'd planned to let Trinity take Gracie to daycare for the first day. I thought it would be best so that I wouldn't have a total meltdown while dropping her off. Plus, I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to get ready for work myself... the first day of a new job is NOT the day to be running late! But the more I thought about it, I just couldn't imagine not being there to make sure she was ok (I know, I know, it's not boot camp) and to learn the procedures for drop-off. It also helped that I didn't have to arrive at work until 9am that morning. So, the three of us loaded up the Vue and drove the quarter of a mile to daycare. But not before the obligatory first day of school (and work) photo! I just couldn't resist.


Somehow I managed a smile!
I did really well until we walked into the daycare and the manager asked, "How are you doing this morning." I, of course, was not ok and began to tear up. I got control and walked Gracie to her classroom, where I again began to cry as we learned the procedure for dropping her off every day. Thankfully Trinity actually took Gracie out of her carseat and handed her to her new teacher. And the crying began again! We finally made our way back home, where I surprisingly held myself together until I got in the car to go to work. I cried for about half the drive and then made myself think about anything but Gracie.


My saving grace for the rest of the day was my new job. Once I got to my office building, I started to get excited about my new position, and once I got inside and started working I was ok. Thankfully, no embarrasing meltdowns at work!


Trinity is the designated picker-uper, so I knew Gracie was happily home around 5:15. I was very ready to head home when 5:30 rolled around. When I got home, she didn't even notice because she was conked out in her swing. I guess daycare is exhausting, especially your first day. Thankfully I did get a big smile once she was semi-awake after eating.


The rest of the week was a teeny tiny bit easier for me. I still teared up each morning as I left her classroom, and this week honestly hasn't been much easier. But at least I have made it out the door without any tears!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sweet Gracie!! Hopefully it'll get a little bit easier for you every day, but not too easy - she's still your sweet baby girl. Glad the new job is going well!