Saturday, January 22, 2011

RSV

I'm simply amazed at how good-natured our daughter is, even when she's sick. This past week Gracie caught RSV from daycare, so we had to keep her home Tuesday to Friday.

Over the weekend Gracie was stuffy-nosed and coughing, but she wasn't running a fever and was her normal, happy self so we weren't too concerned. When I dropped Gracie off to school on Monday, I mentioned that she seemed congested to her teacher. As soon as I got to work I went ahead and made an appointment with her doctor for the next day, more for my peace of mind than anything. Thankfully her teacher called Trinity on Monday afternoon to let him know that her cough was getting worse and that another kid had just been confirmed for RSV. Trinity quickly re-scheduled our Tuesday appointment for Monday evening, where they confirmed that she had a mild case of RSV.
Breathing treatments and sleeping in her swing (to keep her head upright) commenced. I thought that the breathing treatments would be a battle with her, but she just sits in her highchair chatting away! Cleaning out her nose with the automatic aspirator is another story. She flails her arms around and tries to pull her head away. I try to remind her that it will feel better once we've gotten all that crud out. She doesn't seem to care, but who can really blame her?!? I wouldn't want a loud machine being pushed up into my nose either.

Overall, you wouldn't even know she was sick based on her disposition. Trinity and I took turns staying home with her, and she just played, laughed, and smiled all day every day! She even did great at taking naps, which allowed us to get some work done.
Four days later, she is sounding MUCH better. Her follow-up on Friday went really well, and they think the RSV is gone. She is released to go back to daycare on Monday, and I hope that we have a few sick-free weeks ahead of us!

2 comments:

Erin said...

So glad Gracie's feeling better!! What a happy little baby, even when she's suffering from a disease I had to Google. That picture of her with the breathing contraption - I just want to give her a hug!!

MapmakerJenny said...

I'm so glad she is doing much better. It always hurts more when our babies are the sick ones.