Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Family

As I listened to President Obama’s speech at the prayer vigil in Conneticut on Sunday night, I was overwhelmed with emotion. And when he began to read, slowly, the names of the 20 young children who lost their lives in a supposedly safe place, I could hardly stand to listen. But I listened to each of those beautiful names in honor of their memory and for their families. As he spoke the names, I prayed that there would be no little girl named Grace. But there was. Someone else’s sweet baby Grace. But it could have been my Gracie. And that is terrifying.
As I went to bed, I prayed that the Lord give the families of these 20 children peace and comfort. That He would remind them that their children are no longer in pain and are not scared, because they sit on the lap of our Lord. As I prayed, I broke down in sobs. Because that knowledge did nothing for my pain, and they weren't even my children. And so I asked the Lord to allow my grief to alleviate one small ounce of Grace’s parents’ mourning. Let me take on the pain for a family I know nothing of to give them peace and rest, so they might have the strength to go on for one more day.
I cannot fathom the shock, anger and sorrow 20 sets of parents are going through this week.  I hardly understand my own. I can only continue to pray for the healing peace only God can provide in times such as these.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog