Wednesday, June 6, 2012

History

Today is the 68th anniversary of D-Day, the day Allied troups turned the tide of WWII. I saw this picture on CNN's website this morning and couldn't imagine the thoughts that were running through the soldiers minds as they prepared to storm the beaches of France that day.
 
  

The picture also reminded me of my trip to France in 2003. While studying abroad, I was able to visit some of the D-Day beachs and visit an extraordinary museum dedicated to WWII. Just outside Caen, the museum has an amazing silent video with footage from D-Day, as well as a beautiful memorial. It is one of the few museums I've visited that touched me to the core.


How men and women have the courage to be sent into battle, I will never know. But I am so grateful to all of them, past and present, for risking their lives to save others. They say history repeats itself; I hope they are wrong.

No comments: